Getting Extension Professionals and Volunteers on the Same Page
It is about career development and program impact
Professional Development Stages of the Extension Professional
Prepared by Jim Rutledge, Ed. D.
For further discussion or debate, I may be contacted at3805 West Rutledge Drive., Stillwater, OK 74075, on e-mail at email@example.com. I may also be contacted at any of the above if you wish to schedule a presentation or consulting session.
Purpose of this material:
The purpose of this material is to help Extension professionals think about how THEIR professional development stages influence their capacity to reach larger audiences with more valuable educational programs. This material assumes that as we improve our understanding of our own professional development we will improve our ability to create positive relationships with volunteers, clientele, collaborators and peers and this will allow us to increase our capacity to reach both professional and organizational goals. The ultimate goal of these materials is to increase the capacity of the entire Extension system.
The attached materials represent the accumulation of ideas and thoughts over the 37 years of my Extension career. These ideas are compatible with the concepts of situational leadership, transformational education/leadership and some concepts from other educational and professional development models. The purpose of my materials and my models is to translate these other models and my own thinking into a system that applies to the way Extension professionals mature in their careers and in specific job assignments. At this time there is not a specific research study that has validated these concepts, but they have been accepted as valid through presentation and review in more than 10 presentations over the past four years.
To get the most from this program, I recommend printing the handouts listed as 2, 3, and 4 below and then watching the power point presentation as it will refer to materials that are included in the handouts. However, the handouts alone will not tell the story very effectively because they are normally used in the context of the power point presentation.
- Overview Presentation (178 KB) Power Point overview of the Professional Development Stages and how they relate to Extension professionals relationships with their volunteers.
- Developmental Stages Narrative (27 KB) Narrative description of the four professional development stages
- Developmental Stage Matrix(33 KB) Matrix showing the relationships between our developmental stages and our view of volunteers and their roles.
- Developmental Stages Samples(39.5 KB) Samples of how the stages influence the capacity of an Extension professional to reach 4-H and Master Gardener audiences.
- List of background resource materials used to develop the model.
Dr. Jim Rutledge
Resources and References