WI Charitable Organization Statute Needs Your Attention NOW
If a 4-H group or club is receiving contributions in excess of $5,000 during a 12 month period, they need to comply with the Wisconsin Statute on Wisconsin Charitable Organization Registration and Reporting. This is not a new requirement but may not have been on your radar to insure that the 4-H group is complying with the state statute requirements. Examples of what would qualify are donations of money, land or equipment; sponsorships for campers or 4-H activities; Platt book ad sales; corporate donations; corporate solicitations; grants. What is new is the need to let Sue Pleskac know if this is registration and reporting is happening in the county or state 4-H program you work with.
Actions Needed by You At This Time:
1. Review the Wisconsin Charitable Organization Registration and Reporting Fact Sheet. It is located at: http://www.uwex.edu/ces/4h/resources/mgt/documents/WICharitableOrganizationRegistrationReporting.pdf
2. Review the financial information for the 4-H groups and clubs you work with.
3. If a group qualifies to be registering and reporting and has not done so, then put the process into motion now. It is better to error on the side of filing than not filing. Please send Sue Pleskac an email to indicate that that you have a 4-H group that is completing the process.
4. If a group qualifies and has been reporting, please send Sue Pleskac an email indicating that the 4-H group is registered and is reporting.
5. In the 4-H group has an accountant or tax preparer complete their tax work, check with them directly as it may be part of the services they provide.
In either case, please send Sue Pleskac an email if you have already or are in process of Wisconsin Charitable Organization registering and reporting. I need to complete a list of those groups that will be part of the annual reporting to UW-Extension.
Thank you so for your quick response to this request. If you have any questions, please give Sue Pleskac a phone call.