Participants say it best ...
"It provided me with a really eye-opening experience to the magnitude and scope of the challenge I have as a faculty developer. I really value the experience that I had."
Associate Professor, US Army Joint Staff College
"It really did exactly what I wanted it to do –which was to help me to shift gears from the classroom environment to the virtual classroom environment."
K-12 Learning Consultant
Distance Education Certificate Program
This program is currently not accepting new enrollments.
Please check back in Spring 2013.
Build knowledge, skills, and leadership in distance/online education and training with this comprehensive program. Four core modules provide a foundation in distance teaching and learning, technology, instructional design, and evaluation. You round out your studies by choosing from a wide range of electives that address webconferencing strategies, Web 2.0 applications, management, and more.
Taking approximately one year to complete, this program provides both depth and breadth of knowledge for advancing into leadership roles as a DE professional. Your learning in this program will improve your understanding of the challenges of providing quality online learning, help you manage a program and make more informed decisions.
- A comprehensive, practical emphasis. Courses emphasize best practice principles and the application of knowledge to decision making in everyday practice, so you'll be able to apply what you learn to your own work situations.
- Hands-on experience as a distance learner. Experience with a variety of formats provides valuable insights into best practices for course design, teaching, and learner support.
- Peer networking. You will have opportunities to learn with other professionals with diverse backgrounds addressing some of the same challenges.
- Support for learning. Services for course planning, advising, feedback, and networking are available. Web resources provide access to a variety of additional resources to support your learning and enhance skill development.
- Evaluation and feedback. The knowledge and skills you develop in the Certificate Program are evaluated through projects, reports, and online activities.
Convenient and flexible with no travel requirements
You can complete this program from any location and choose how you want to study. The required core modules are available in group-based or self-paced formats. We've changed our scheduling approach so you are able to switch between formats and choose the order in which you complete the required four core modules. Electives vary in format depending on the topic. See the Participation page for more details.