|hours||7:45 am - 4:30 pm|
The Human Resources (HR) Assistant has responsibility to work collaboratively with a human resources team to assist in the administration of human resources activities in the areas of staffing and recruitment, personnel transactions and contract administration, report management and distribution, and other human resources related activities. The HR Assistant provides guidance and assistance for all employment categories (faculty, academic staff, limited appointees, university staff and student employment).
Under the general direction of the Human Resources Manager, in the Office of Human Resources (OHR) the HR Assistant works closely with the central OHR team, as well as campus and divisional colleagues to serve both UW Colleges’ and UW-Extension’s divisions, campuses, departments, committees, staff, and employees. UW Colleges is comprised of approximately 1,500 employees located on 13 campuses, UW Colleges Online, and the central administrative office. UW-Extension has approximately 1,500 employees across four divisions (Cooperative Extension, Continuing Education, Outreach, and E-Learning (CEOEL), Broadcasting and Media Innovations (BAMI) and Business and Entrepreneurship) with programs and employees located in all 72 counties throughout the state of Wisconsin.
The HR Assistant provides exceptional customer service, maintains confidentiality, and fosters an environment that is inclusive, trusting, respectful and collegial. This position is located in the central Office for Human Resources in the UW Colleges and UW-Extension building on Lake Street in downtown Madison, Wisconsin. Normal office hours are 7:45am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday. There may be occasional travel to the Colleges campuses and Extension offices throughout the state.
35% A. Personnel Transactions and Contract Administration – Assist OHR team in receiving, reviewing, and processing personnel transactions for all employee types (university staff, academic staff, faculty, temporary, and students) in an automated HRIS system. Assist in managing the contract administration for new and continuing staff.
1. Create Personnel Action Forms (PAFs) based on consultation with and requests from campus/regional/divisional administrators. Ensure supporting documentation is included with all transactional requests, and that all necessary approvals have been given.
2. Enter personnel transactions in HRS for new hires, person, job, and positions changes, and terminations.
3. Work closely with human resources, benefits, and payroll staff to ensure transactions are processed timely and accurately.
4. Process transactions for Student Help appointments.
5. Correspond with campus and divisional administrators, and employees regarding status of personnel changes & transactions.
6. Work closely with HR Assistant Advanced and the HR Technology Manager to process transactions and assist with contract administration for Instructional Academic Staff appointments based on staffing plans.
7. Prepare annual renewal and salary letters, and ensure proper and timely distribution.
25% A. Staffing & Recruitment – Assist with the organization and management of the recruitment life cycle process for all employment categories. Work with HR Managers and HR Assistant-Advanced (HR recruitment team) to help to coordinate and organize recruitments by assisting with compiling information, preparing and finalizing logistics, and corresponding with Hiring Managers, supervisors, and applicants.
1. Assist HR recruitment team to review, format, and compile documentation needed to initiate the recruitment process. These documents include position descriptions, position vacancy announcements, recruitment plans, and screening materials.
2. Work with HR recruitment team to finalize the logistics included in recruitment plans.
3. Assist HR recruitment team with formatting and posting advertisements for vacancies in a variety of sources.
4. Assist HR recruitment team in creating and posting position vacancies in an automated Applicant Tracking System.
5. Correspond with applicants throughout the recruitment process. Respond to questions from applicants and employees in regard to recruitment in person, via email, or by phone regarding employment opportunities, application procedures and deadlines, and human resources policies and procedures.
6. Assist in reviewing application materials for accuracy and completeness. Request any missing items from candidates.
7. Assist with providing status updates as needed and necessary to all appropriate individuals regarding recruitment progress through various levels of approval including posting/advertising/recruitment, through application and interview stages, through offer, through hire. Work closely with human resources staff, hiring managers, and search & screen committees in answering questions and facilitating processes as necessary.
8. Ensure all documentation needed for the recruitment file is compiled and complete throughout the recruitment process
9. Assist HR recruitment team in finalizing the recruitment process.
10. Assist with developing, distributing, and maintaining new employee appointment letters.
11. Ensure all documentation needed for employee file is compiled and complete.
12. Work with hiring managers and OHR team to facilitate the onboarding process for new employees.
20% C. Report Management and Distribution – Work closely with Human Resources, Payroll, Benefits, and HR Technology team to run, review, schedule, and distribute Human Resources action based reports to campus and division colleagues. These reports will include the University Staff Temporary Hours report, the Expected Job End Date report, and the Probationary Review Report.
1. Work with HR team to create a schedule for running HR related action based reports.
2. Help to determine and maintain a record of which campus and division colleagues will need to receive and review reports sent by HR.
3. Create correspondence including instructions to be used when distributing reports.
4. Create filing/organizational structure to compile reports that are completed and sent back to HR for processing.
5. Work with HR team to review submitted information included in completed reports.
6. Process any personnel transactions/changes that result from information included in reports.
15% D. General Human Resources Activities – Work closely with the OHR team and external partners to discuss, review, update & improve, create, and communicate about new HR related processes, as well as learning and development opportunities.
1. Provide assistance to OHR staff in regard to complex projects and presentations while anticipating and providing input as well as any necessary administrative support.
2. Assist in efforts to review and improve resources for managers, supervisors, and employees.
3. Participate on teams, committees, and workgroups. Research topics to appropriately represent internal and external perspectives in meetings and on committees.
4. Assist in providing and updating content on the OHR website.
5. Correspond with and communicate regularly with campus and divisional contacts via phone, email, face to face meetings, and Skype video conferences. Work with external partners and colleagues to better understand, and communicate about OHR processes.
6. Provide input and suggestions, and assist in the planning, development and presentation of any/all appropriate trainings and professional development materials and/or opportunities/initiatives of the central Office for Human Resources
5% E. Other Duties – Perform other related projects/assignments to contribute to the mission of the central Office for Human Resources.
1. Attend trainings, seminars, and/or conferences as assigned/needed to stay abreast current human resources trends or developments related to this position expectations.
2. Perform other duties/projects as assigned. Be responsive to evolving position, program, office and organizational needs and perform adjusted or additional duties as requested
Office experience working with spreadsheets, word processing applications, and databases
Evidence of experience and/or the ability to provide comprehensive customer service in a dynamic, fast paced environment
Associate’s Degree or higher in Human Resources, Business Management, or related field
Experience using an Automated Applicant Tracking System
Experience working effectively both independently and in a team
Experience prioritizing and completing multiple tasks with competing deadlines
Previous Human Resources professional experience
Previous UW System Human Resources experience
Experience working with HRIS systems (e.g. PeopleSoft) or with other related enterprise systems
Experience processing a diverse set of transactions in a high volume setting
Applicants are required to apply online.
All application materials must be submitted electronically at the time of application. UW Colleges will not consider paper, emailed or faxed applications. Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents at the time of application. Required application materials: 1) a letter of application that addresses how your education and experience meet all of the qualifications for the position, 2) current resume that includes degree information, and 3) names and contact information (e-mail address, phone number, and mailing address) of at least three references.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Kris Marlow ( email@example.com). For technical questions or assistance, please contact UW Service Center at (888) 298-4159.
For campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report see http://www.uwpd.wisc.edu and click on Clery Act Statistics or go directly to the following web site: http://www.wisc.edu/students/faculty/safety.htm.
|web link||For more information, please visit https://www.careers.wisconsin.edu/psp/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=33&JobOpeningId=12888&PostingSeq=1.|
In 2012 more than 500 UW-Extension programs served 1.6 million interactions across our state. Your gift helps to build a strong Wisconsin.
Learn more and donate